It’s that time of year again (already!) – summer reading time! As the homeschooling mother to a whole brood of voracious readers, I always enjoy seeing which of our favorite companies are lining up to sponsor the latest addition of summer reading programs.
2009…*sigh*…While there are some fun programs remaining (listed below), I am dismayed to see that the stressful economic times have managed to take a bite out of the summer reading incentives as well. Some of our old favorites that seem to have disappeared from the summer reading scene this year are Build-a-Bear and Pizza Hut. :(
Ever more reason to offer my many thanks to the following for persevering, despite the current economic crisis:
Prize(s): Receive a FREE book from Barnes & Noble!
Who: Grades 1-6
When: 5/26/09 – 9/7/09
- Read any 8 books of your own choosing
- Use your Summer Reading Journal to tell your favorite part of each book.
- Bring completed Reading Journal, with parent’s signature, to a Barnes & Noble store between May 26th and Sept. 7th, 2009 to receive a coupon for a FREE book.
11th Annual Homeschooling Summer Reading Club
Prize(s): Receive a certificate, stickers and a prize in the mail by September 30, 2009!
Who: Grades K-12 (Homeschooled)
Deadline: Postmarked by August 31, 2009
- Sign your children up.
- Print out Reading List Form.
- Have children read books at their reading level.
- List books on form, and total pages read.
- When the total number of pages reach 500, mail the list along with a $1.39 stamp to the address provided on the Reading List Form (one per student).
Sponsor: Half Price Books
Prize(s): $3 shopping card at Half-Price books for each week spent reading for at least 15 minutes per day.
Who: Children 12 and under
When: 6/1/09 – 7/31/09
- Get a Feed Your Brain Reading Log at Half Price Books.
- Check off each day for five days that the child read for 15 minutes or more.
- Fill out a reading log, and have a parent or guardian sign it.
- Bring the completed and signed log to Half Price Books.
- Get a Feed Your Brain Reading Reward: $3 Shopping Card at Half Price Books.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5 every week through Friday, July 31, 2009.
“Kids, Ready to turn a page? Log your minutes, earn points, help a cause, and read for the world record! All you have to do is:
- Take a fun quiz to get sorted onto a team.
- Score points by logging the minutes you read each day.
- Earn bonus points by taking games, quizzes, and polls.
- Win prizes and sweepstakes while you are at it.”
At the end of the summer, the winning team gets to vote on which Save the Children U.S. program will receive a special donation from Scholastic in your team’s name!
Prize(s): 50% or more savings on selected items
Who: Kids 12 and under
When: 5/26/09 – 8/31/09
- Read any 8 books
- List the books you’ve read on the Reading Challenge Worksheet.
- Have a parent/guardian sign the completed worksheet.
- Bring your completed worksheet to any Borders or Waldenbooks store between May 26 and August 31 to save 50% or more on selected items.