Pumpkin Spice Cake
Original Source: The Vegetarian Gourmet by Florence & Mickey Bienenfeld
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 1 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups canned (or fresh) pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Whisk first 10 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together flour, soda, and baking powder and add, all at once, whisking just until blended. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly in a 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or just until cakes tests done. Do not overbake.
Serves 10 to 12