Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
Time: 1 hour
- wok, large stockpot, or Dutch oven with lid
- wooden spoon
- oven-proof bowls (optional)
- 3 T butter or olive oil
- 4 large white onions, thinly-sliced
- 1 t salt
- ½ t dry mustard
- dash of thyme
- 5 cups vegetable stock and/or water
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 T dry white wine (optional)
- white pepper
- croutons or stale French bread
- cheese: Gruyère or Swiss, grated or sliced (optional)
Melt the butter in the wok, saucepan, or kettle at medium heat. Add onions and salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add mustard and thyme, stir well, cover.
Simmer over very low heat for 35 minutes.
Add stock or water, soy sauce, optional wine, and pepper. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with croutons and cheese. If your bowls are oven-proof, you can then place the dishes under the broiler for a minute or two to melt and brown the cheese.
Recipe from The Veggie Table (.com), adapted from Molly Katzen’s New Moosewood Cookbook.